Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Divergent - Veronica Roth

Divergent by Veronica Roth was the first book I read this year that got a 5* rating.

Photobucket

This book is a Young Adult Dystopia, which should mean something to you if you have read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Most people, if having read HG will compare the 2 series. (Yes it is a series, the second book, Insurgent, comes out May 1st. The wait is KILLING me!) I am guilty of this comparison myself, (my first comment after finishing was that I liked it more than HG.) It is easy to compare the 2 for 3 reasons.  1. It is Dystopia. 2. It is geared towards young adults. 3. The female character is young, but so amazingly strong. That people is where the similarities end.

This book takes place after the world as we know it has collapsed and has been rebuilt. Society has been divided into 5 different factions based on dominant personality traits. At the age of 16 everyone must take a test and is sorted into which faction you fit best, though you are given the final say and chose which faction you want to spend your life in. Tris, the FMC (female main character), surprises everyone including herself with her choice.
The characters in this book are strong and determined and so likeable. (Four, the Male Main Character, is totally crush-worthy BTW.)

I don't want to say too much because I could very easily give away plot parts that would ruin the book and that would be devastating. Just trust me when I tell you you need to read it. I have already had 5 people read it based on my review (and the fact that it was my book club pick) and they have all LOVED it and can't wait for part 2.

Oh and something amazing I forgot to mention... Veronica Roth was 22 when this book was published. 22 YEARS OLD PEOPLE!!! Way to go!

xoxo...P

No comments:

Post a Comment