Friday, June 4, 2010

Friday Favorite

This weeks Friday Favorite was an easy choice... my favorite vacation (only easy in that I'm dreaming of a vacation so since I can't go anywhere I'm reflecting on an old one.)

Depends on who you talk to if you consider this a vacation or not since it lasted 2 months! But I count it since I wasn't in this city, this state or even this country! Hell I wasn't even on this continent! LONDON! I can hardly believe that it was 8 years ago in August. That doesn't seem right to me.

I lived in London for 2 amazing months, granted I was going to school so it wasn't a total vacation but who are we kidding when your drinking everyday, exploring new places, meeting amazing people and eating amazing food it is vacation. And even despite doing all those things all the time I did really well in my classes.

What I wouldn't do to go back there. I made some of the best friends a girl could ask for. I worked with one of them for over a year after we moved back to Chicago, I talked to another one yesterday (who I haven't seen in 6 years because we can't schedule things to work out and meet up.)

Back to the point of this favorite post. I think everything about that trip made it my favorite. I learned so much about myself and what I want out of life (and didn't want out of life but that's another story!) I loved the history, the architecture, the people, the museums, the parks, the shopping, the food, the people; have I mentioned the people? I loved the late nights exploring neighborhoods (and pubs), I loved going to the Globe Theater to see a Shakespeare play, walking across the London Bridge, taking the tube and those awesome black taxis. And 8 million other things we did.

Oh and the side trips we took were AMAZING! My favorite was to Edinburgh, Scotland. Some of us climbed (ok hiked) up a mountain in the middle of the night and spent the night up there talking and forming friendships that will never end. Plus that is where I found my favorite drink. Oh how I love it. Too bad I can't get it in the US. It is WKD Blue - tastes like blue raspberry blow pops. YUM-O! Thanks to one of my friends I actually have a bottle waiting for me after little B is born. :)
One of our other side trips was to Amsterdam and I'm not getting into those stories but lets just say it was interesting.

J and I will be going to London some day mark my words. I know it won't be the same, especially since I have grown up quite a bit in the years since and won't be partying like we did then, but I can't wait for the day I get to show him the places I went and he can see why I love it so much. And maybe on our trip there I will do more of the touristy things too. ;)

Oh and PS another fav from that trip would have to be doing cartwheels past Big Ben at 3AM!

No comments:

Post a Comment